Calming the Emotional Storm: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy to Treat Emotion Dysregulation
Sheri Van Dijk, MSW, RSW
Sept. 24-25 &
Oct 2, 2020
9:00am – 1:00pm
Overview of Program
Are you working with clients who are unable to manage their emotions? We all know the challenges this can present. Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) is a treatment originally designed to treat borderline personality disorder (BPD). In recent years, it has been increasingly used to treat many other disorders such as depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder, in which emotion dysregulation plays a key role.
Following an introduction to DBT theory and how this treatment differs from traditional cognitive behavior therapy, leading expert Sheri Van Dijk will discuss how DBT can be applied to working with clients facing this broad range of conditions.
Through lecture and experiential exercises, you’ll explore the four modules of DBT skills (Core Mindfulness, Distress Tolerance, Emotion Regulation, and Interpersonal Effectiveness) and learn how to teach these skills to your clients. You will learn how to format DBT sessions to provide the structure your dysregulated clients need. In addition, Sheri will introduce DBT strategies to help foster the therapeutic relationship, maximize therapeutic gains, and reduce the likelihood of therapist burnout.
Sheri Van Dijk is a social worker, in private practice in Newmarket, Ontario. She is the author of several books that teach clients how to use DBT skills for problems with emotion regulation, as well as DBT Made Simple, a book for clinicians in which she aims to make DBT more accessible to mental health professionals.
Sheri is the 2010 recipient of the Canadian Psychiatric Association’s R.O. Jones Award for her research using DBT with bipolar disorder, published in the Journal of Affective Disorders in 2013. While maintaining a private practice with a specialization in DBT and mindfulness practice, she has been presenting extensively on DBT throughout Canada and internationally.
|CCPA 12 CEC’s||CACCF 12 CEU’s|
|This seminar qualifies for 12 CECs for OACCPP members. OACCPP does not endorse or approve this training program or activity.||Accreditation pending|
- Introduce Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) and briefly review its origins, including differences between DBT and Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT)
- Review the three underlying theories of DBT: the biosocial theory, dialectics, and behavior theory
- Learn how DBT can be used to help clients facing a broad range of conditions (including depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder) in which emotional regulation plays a key role.
- Explore the four modules of skills taught in DBT (Core Mindfulness, Distress Tolerance, Emotion Regulation, and Interpersonal Effectiveness) and learn how to teach these skills to your clients.
- Learn how to format DBT sessions to provide the structure your dysregulated clients need.
- Learn dialectical strategies to help clients move to make positive changes and get unstuck in treatment.
- Discuss how DBT skills will help you improve your own sense of efficacy in therapy, and reduce the likelihood of burnout
Register Now to Save Your Seat
- To be eligible for group rate, all 3 registrations must be registered at the same time, and paid with one cheque or credit card number.
- Greater discounts for groups of 10 or more. Contact the team at MAGentix directly.
- For student rate, a valid full-time student ID must be presented.
- Above includes payment by credit card and cheque. Other payment methods.
- Certificate of Participation will be given at the end of the workshop.
Who is This Training For?
This seminar is for:
- Medical Professionals
- Social Workers
- Youth Workers
- Counsellors and Therapists
- Family Therapists
- School Guidance Counselors
- Addiction Counsellors
- Case Managers
- Other Professionals in the Human Service Sector
- Current students in these related fields
- September 24-25 & October 2, 2020 | 9:00am- 1:00pm
- NOW ONLINE WEBINAR
Publications by Sheri Van Dijk
The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Bipolar Disorder: Using DBT to Regain Control of Your Emotions and Your Life. June, 2009. New Harbinger Publications.
The Bipolar Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Take Charge of Your Life. January, New Harbinger Publications (co-author).
Don’t Let Your Emotions Run Your Life for Teens. February, 2011. New Harbinger Publications.
Calming The Emotional Storm: Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Help You Find Balance In Your Life. 2012. New Harbinger Publications.
DBT Made Simple: A Step-by-Step Guide to Dialectical Behavior Therapy. 2012. New Harbinger Publications.
Relationship Skills 101 For Teens. 2015. New Harbinger Publications.
Surviving The Emotional Roller Coaster for Teens. (2016). New Harbinger Publications.
The DBT Skills Workbook for Self-harm for Teens (in press). New Harbinger Publications.
A Randomized Controlled Pilot Study of Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills in a Psychoeducational Group for Individuals With Bipolar Disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders (March, 2013).
DBT Strategic Planning Meeting Participant at University of Washington, October 3rd – 4th, 2015.