Date: April 25 & 26, 2013
Time: 9:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Location: St-Paul University, 223 Main St., Ottawa, On
Introductory Offer – $370 + HST for you and your colleague
*Group rates available. Please see in the Event Registration Tab.
MAGentix is pleased to present one of the most popular speakers in the field of mental health therapy. Bill O’Hanlon makes a rare visit to Ottawa on April 25-26 for a two-day seminar that is sure to inspire, enlighten and recharge people working in the helping professions. Bill’s storytelling, irreverent humor and boundless enthusiasm make his workshops as entertaining as they are educational
Don’t miss the chance to learn from Bill as he makes his only Canadian appearance in Ottawa this year!
Who should attend:
- Counselors and therapists
- Social workers
- Psychologists, psychiatrists
- Youth workers
- Nurses, doctors, teachers, clergy
- Case Managers
- Anyone feeling burnt out, tired or frustrated with challenging clients or patients.
Being a therapist can be challenging these days, with funding cutbacks, bigger workload, more complex caseloads and more stringent ethical requirements. Compassion fatigue can plague the best of us at times. This presentation will offer two approaches to recharging your depleted therapist batteries:
- How to keep your soul alive in your life and your work and
- How to deal with your most difficult clients in ways that decrease frustration and anxiety.
Bill will show you what fuels and recharges us in life and work, as well as how to make mid-course corrections if you have gotten onto the wrong track.
The seminar will show you how to deal with your most frustrating and “resistant” clients. Clients with borderline issues, trauma survivors, and clients with other chronic problems are often paralyzed by ambivalence and impulses toward self-hatred and self-harm. Suggestions, interventions, and proposed solutions are often met with “Yes, but” or “You don’t understand.”
In this workshop, Bill will examine how therapists can widen their clinical lens so that they are neither rigidly attached to any pet theory nor over-invested in having their clients change. He’ll also discuss how to be with clients in their ambivalence and contradictions in a way that permits them to choose to step into the possibility that things can be different.
This seminar promises to mix learning with a lot of fun! Bill’s teaching toolbox includes movie clips, music, poetry, and liberal doses of humour. Check this video
Participants will receive a certificate of training that may be used toward Continuing Education credits for their own licensing board or professional association.
Thursday, April 25, 2013 – Morning
- The four energies that can keep your soul alive and direct your life and work
- Reclaiming neglected or left-behind pieces
- Thriving Through Crises: Turning trauma, transitions and turning points into opportunities for growth and renewal
Thursday, April 25, 2013 – Afternoon
- Possibility Therapy
- Acknowledgment and possibility: the two legs of successful therapy
- Five methods of acknowledging and validating while opening possibilities
- Future Pull: How the future can cause the present
- Possibilities in Action: Pushing against your own resistance to change
- Faith: Lessons from Indiana Jones and Kierkegaard
Friday, April 26, 2013 – Morning
- Storytelling and metaphorical strategies as indirect invitations to change with challenging clients
- Containing resistance, hostility and ambivalence
- Symptom transformation: Using the problem as a solution
Friday, April 26, 2013 – Afternoon
- The rule: Never be the most motivated person in the therapy room
- Motivation 101: Never try to teach a pig to sing
- Dealing with discouragement
- Dealing with passivity
- The resistant therapist: Identifying where you are stuck and what biases are blinding you or making you ineffective
Registration starts at 8:15 a.m., and workshop is 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Coffee and refreshments will be served at the break.
Parking is available for $7/day.
Bill O’Hanlon, MS, LMFT
Bill O’Hanlon, MS, LMFT, has authored or co-authored 35 books, the latest being The Change Your Life Book (HCI, 2012), He has published 59 articles or book chapters. His books have been translated into 15 languages: French, Spanish, Portuguese, Swedish, Finnish, German, Chinese, Bulgarian, Turkish, Korean, Indonesian, Italian, Croatian, Arabic and Japanese.
He has appeared on Oprah (with his book Do One Thing Different), The Today Show, and a variety of other television and radio programs.
Since 1977, Bill has given over 2500 talks around the world. He has been a top-rated presenter at many national conferences and was awarded the Outstanding Mental Health Educator of the Year in 2001 by the New England Educational Institute.
Bill is a Licensed Mental Health Professional, Certified Professional Counselor, and a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Bill is clinical member of AAMFT (and winner of the 2003 New Mexico AAMFT Distinguished Service Award), certified by the National Board of Certified Clinical Hypnotherapists and a Fellow and a Board Member of the American Psychotherapy Association.
He is known for his storytelling, irreverent humor, clear and accessible style and his boundless enthusiasm for whatever he is doing. His seminars are as entertaining as they are educational.
|ABOUT SSL CERTIFICATES|
There are four ways to register.
1150-45 O’Connor St.Ottawa ON K1P 1A4
- All prices are in Canadian Dollars(CAD)
- 13% HST will be added to all fees
- Information about cancelling a registration can be found in our Cancellation policy.